Learn About Indicator Species at YMCA Camp Orkila
Last updated: April 27, 2020, at 3:58 p.m. PT
Originally published: April 27, 2020, at 3:16 p.m. PT
Watch and listen as our Camp Orkila team explores the pond to learn about indicator species.
- What is an example of a critter that is “intolerant” to pollution? What does 'intolerant' mean?
- If pollution were to make it’s way into our pond, what would help to these critters you listed above?
- How many different critters did you find? This is a way to measure biodiversity
- By the critters we found in our pond, how would you describe the health of our pond today?
- What are some things you do to prevent pollution in your area? What is something you are going to start to do now that you’ve learned more about aquatic insects?
- For the last 100 years or more, the Camp Orkila pond has been visited by thousands of children and families. This is the first spring in more than 70 years that there has been no human impact on the pond. What do you think that means for the critters that live there?