Families Volunteer Together for Healthy Kids Day
Last updated: April 7, 2021, at 8:15 a.m. PT
Originally published: March 23, 2021, at 10:11 a.m. PT
Giving your time to volunteer is a rewarding and fun way to support neighbors and strengthen community!
For Healthy Kids Day this year, we're encouraging families to join us in a volunteer service project to clean up trash in their neighborhood or donate food items to help those in need. If every family contributed either their time or some items from their pantry, think of the impact we could collectively make!
Be sure to post a photo on Facebook or Instagram showing us your volunteer efforts. Tag #seattlehkd and let us know how many hours you picked up trash or how many food items you donated.
On Healthy Kids Day weekend, set out with your family to pick up trash in your neighborhood, at a local park or beach, or wherever you choose. Be sure to use appropriate safety tools including gloves, hand sanitizer, face mask, garbage bags, and trash pickers, if available.
Keep in mind that you may find hazardous trash or illegal dumping that you should report to your local city or municipality for help cleaning up. Here's a few hotlines that we found:
- Seattle Public Utilities illegal dumping hotline: (206) 684-7587 (option 4)
- King County outside Seattle: Report Illegal dumping on this form or call the hotline at (206) 296- 7483.
- City of Issaquah: Fill out this form to report your concerns.
Dive into your pantry or make a special store trip to gather non-perishable food items to donate! There are a few different places that are currently accepting food donations.
- Deliver your items to a nearby 'Little Free Pantry.' If you don't know of one in your neighborhood, you can find a list with some locations listed here.
- Contact your local food bank to see how and when you can bring by your items or bring to a public drop site. Policies may be a bit different with COVID-19 safety protocols in place.
Healthy Kids Day
Healthy Kids Day is our annual, super fun, FREE day dedicated to encouraging healthy habits in kids and their families heading into the summer months. As part of this special day, we're giving away tons of great prizes including a 6-month Family membership, a week of day camp, a weekend Family Camp, and so much more! Enter code VOLUNTEER in this form by 1:00 pm PST on April 10 for a chance to win!