Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. I cannot afford the full cost of Birthday Party in a Box, are there financial aid or scholarship options?
Yes, the Y is committed to ensuring all of our programs are affordable for all. Please fill out this quick form to learn more.
2. Do I qualify for Facility Member pricing if my membership is on hold while facilities are closed or not up to full operations?
You must be an active member to qualify for Facility Member pricing. If you would like to remove your hold status, please email us.
3. When are fees due for Birthday Party in a Box?
Payment is due in full at time of registration.
4. What is the deadline to register for Birthday Party in a Box?
Registration closes two weeks prior to each birthday party date to allow us time to pack your birthday party kits.
5. Can I add extra time to the birthday party?
Families who would like to extend the birthday party time, either hosted or not hosted by Y staff, may email us to request additional time.
6. What if the date and/or time I’d like is not available?
Please email us and we may be able to accommodate your request.
7. What is your cancellation policy?
We offer a 50% refund if cancelled at least two weeks prior to party date. There is no refund if cancelled less than two weeks prior to party date. You may reschedule pending availability.
8. What ages are appropriate for Birthday in a Box?
Birthday Party in a Box offers a variety of themes that can suit kids as young as 3 years old and as old as 12 years. When registering, select a theme that best suits your child’s interest and age range. We will tailor the activities to best fit the age range of the birthday kid!
9. My birthday kid wants a theme that’s not listed here. Can I customize our party?
Yes! Simply select Build Your Own theme and we will follow up to coordinate the party plans. We will work to customize a party that fits within our typical budget. Any customizations that exceed a standard budget can be arranged with additional fees as applicable.
10. Where and when do I pick up my box? How do the boxes get to my guests?
The birthday party boxes will be hand-delivered to the family of the guest of honor within an approximate 30-mile range of our downtown Seattle location – excluding any travel requiring a ferry. The family is responsible for delivering boxes to their guests. Alternatively, boxes can be shipped to individual guests for an additional fee of $9 per box. When registering, you will choose your preferred method. Additional arrangements will be made following registration. Boxes will be delivered at least one week in advance of the birthday party date.
11. How do I log on to my Zoom party? How do my guests log on?
We will email detailed instructions for Zoom meetings at least one week before the party. You will be responsible for forwarding the Zoom instructions to your guests.
12. How early can we arrive for the party?
The Y Party Host will open the Zoom room 15 minutes before the party. The guest of honor and parents may arrive 15 minutes early to go over details and allow for technical troubleshooting. Guests will be welcomed by the Party Host beginning five minutes before the party time.
13. How many guests can we invite?
Y virtual birthday parties include up to 10 kits, including the guest of honor. Additional kits can be purchased for $15 each. Non-participating guests are welcome to attend and are encouraged to keep cameras off and mute on until the conclusion of the Y hosted portion. Zoom rooms allow for up to 100 guests, however, a smaller group would be recommended.
14. Should parents of party guests stay for the party?
The parent or guardian of the guest of honor and guests should remain available but do not need to actively participate. The parent/guardian of the birthday kid will need to be available to take over hosting at the hour mark, if choosing to extend for the additional 30 minutes of non-Y hosted time.
15. We have birthday guests that live in the same household. What should we do?
Boxes contain supplies for one guest only so if both guests plan to participate, they will each need their own box. Non-participating household members are welcome to join the Zoom call.
16. We would like our uncles/aunts/grandparents/etc. to watch the party. Is that an option?
Yes! You are welcome to forward the Zoom link to any non-participatory guests you’d like. We recommend having non-participatory guests keep their cameras off and muted for first 60-minute portion of the guided activities.
17. Will the birthday kid and guests have a chance to socialize?
Yes! Throughout the birthday party experience, the kids will have fun interactive games and activities. After the 60 minutes of guided activities, we will hand off the Zoom host role to the parent/guardian of the birthday kid who will take over the hosting portion of the remaining 30 minutes. The Y Party Host will depart at this time. You are welcome to let the kids simply have fun socializing or you can extend the fun with additional games or activities of your choosing.
18. I have twins—how does that work?
We will be happy to celebrate both kids and will include a complimentary birthday shirt in both boxes. Plan accordingly in your distribution of boxes and remember that additional boxes can be purchased for $15 each should you want to invite more guests. Please make note of your additional guest of honor in the notes section of registration.
19. I have a question not listed, who can I contact?
Please email us.