Youth Basketball Player Information
West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA
Important Season Dates
- December 3 - Practices start the week of December 3 for Rookies, Juniors and Legends
- December 24 to January 4 - No practices during winter break
- January 5 - Games start for Juniors and Legends, Practice/Scrimmages start for Minis the week the January 5
- January 12 - Games start for Rookies
- Monday, January 21 - No practices on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
YMCA Youth Basketball offers opportunities for players of all skills levels, gives players an equal amount of playing time and never has tryouts or cuts. Our Skills Showcase is a day where participants will run through a series of basketball drills and skills to demonstrate their level of play. Staff will use what they observe in the Skills Showcase to help build teams that are balanced. Minis do not attend a Skills Showcase.
To check-in, fill out paperwork and complete the skills showcase, please plan on being present at a time designated below for about 30 minutes.
- Friday, November 9 at the West Seattle Family YMCA
- 4:00pm - 5:30pm Legends and Juniors
- 5:30pm - 7:00pm Rookies
- 7:00pm - 8:00pm Rookies, Juniors and Legends
- Saturday, November 17 at the West Seattle Family YMCA
- 9:30am - 11:00am Legends and Juniors
- 11:00am - 12:30pm Rookies
- 12:30pm - 1:30pm Rookies, Juniors and Legends
If you cannot attend a Skills Showcase, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The West Seattle Family YMCA is located at 3622 SW Snoqualmie St.
Players should wear athletic shoes and whatever they feel comfortable running, jumping and playing an indoor sport in. They should also bring a water bottle! Minis will practice at the West Seattle Family YMCA. Rookies, Juniors and Legends will practice at nearby schools or at the West Seattle Family YMCA. We rent gymnasium space from nearby schools. Please respect these spaces and leave the facility as you found it. Gymnasiums are a PE teacher's classroom.
Your coach will contact you during the week of November 26 to introduce themselves, share your practice day, time and location and your team roster.
Games will typically be played on Saturdays at nearby schools, the Fauntleroy YMCA, the West Seattle Family YMCA or other YMCAs in the area depending on your league. Game schedules will be available the week of January 1 or sooner.
Uniform tops will be distributed at practice before the first game of the season.
Team photos will be taken on Saturday, February 2 at the Fauntleroy YMCA in Fellowship Hall. Players should wear their uniform on Picture Day.
We encourage all parents to stay at practices and games for the duration. Anyone 16 years old or older must have valid identification in order to be allowed into a YMCA facility. There will be no exceptions.
Our youth sports leagues depend on volunteers who give their times as coaches. If you are interested in coaching, please email email@example.com to learn more.