Youth Basketball Player Information
Matt Griffin YMCA
Important Season Dates
- December 3 - Practices start the week of December 3 for Rookies, Juniors and Legends
- December 24 to January 4 - No practices during winter break
- January 5 - Games start for Juniors and Legends
- January 10 - Practices/Scrimmages start for Minis
- January 12 - Games start for Rookies
- Monday, January 21 - No practices on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Monday, February 18 - No practices on Presidents' Day
YMCA Youth Basketball offers opportunities for players of all skills levels, gives players an equal amount of playing time and never has tryouts or cuts. Our Skills Showcase is a day where participants will run through a series of basketball drills and skills to demonstrate their level of play. Staff will use what they observe in the Skills Showcase to help build teams that are balanced.
To check-in, fill out paperwork and complete the skills showcase, please plan on being present at a time designated below for about 10-15 minutes.
- Grades K-2: Tuesdays, November 27, 5:00 - 6:15pm
- Grades 3-9: Wednesday, November 28, 5:00 - 6:45pm
- All Grades Make-Up: Thursday, November 29, 5:00 - 6:00pm
If you cannot attend a Skills Showcase, please email email@example.com.
Players should wear athletic shoes and whatever they feel comfortable running, jumping and playing an indoor sport in. They should also bring a water bottle! Players may bring a basketball but coaches will have enough for practice. Your coach will contact you during the week of November 26 to introduce themselves, share your practice day, time and location and your team roster.
- Minis practice on Thursdays at 5:00pm from January 10 - February 28
- Rookies practice on Wednesdays at 5:00, 6:00 or 7:00pm from December 5 - February 27
- Juniors in grades 3 or 4 practice on Tuesdays at 5:00, 6:00 or 7:00pm from December 4 - March 9
- Juniors in grades 5 or 6 practice on Mondays at 5:00, 6:00 or 7:00pm from December 3 - March 9
- Legends practice on Fridays at 4:00 or 5:00pm from December 7 - March 9
Games will typically be played on Saturdays at the Matt Griffin YMCA or other YMCAs in the area depending on your league. Game schedules will be available the week of January 1 or sooner. We will have games during the weekend before Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Uniform tops will be distributed at practice before the first game of the season.
Stay tuned for information about Picture Day. Your coach and/or the Y will share details once they are finalized. Players should wear their uniform top on Picture Day.
We encourage all parents to stay at practices and games for the duration. Please make sure your player arrives on time to practice and games. If you are running late to pick your player up, please call the front desk at 206 244 5880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Anyone 16 years old or older must have valid identification in order to be allowed into a YMCA facility. There will be no exceptions.