ON THE GUARD
The YMCA offers a full YMCA of the USA lifeguard training course that includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer (CPRO) and First Aid, equipment-based rescues for aquatic environments, accident prevention, and decision-making skills. The class is taught through a blended learning method of online videos and quizzes as well as classroom and pool time.
Participants must be 16 years old by the end of the class. Attendance, full participation, and successful completion of written tests and performance of all water skills are required.
Participants must be able to:
- Tread water for at least 2 minutes
- Swim 100 yards of front crawl
- Swim 50 yards each of front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke with head up, inverted breaststroke kick with hands on stomach
- Perform a feet-first surface dive in 8 to 10 feet of water and then swim underwater for 15 feet
- Perform a series of tasks given by the instructor to demonstrate listening and scanning ability as well as stamina and endurance
The YMCA of Greater Seattle lifeguard classes are run through yexchange.org To register, please create a username and password by clicking here and then chose the appropriate class.