Recipe: Southwest Chicken, Sweet Potato, & Black Bean Skillet
Last updated: May 11, 2020, at 8:48 a.m. PT
Originally published: May 11, 2020, at 8:30 a.m. PT
This one pot-dish is full of veggies and loaded with flavor! You can opt to make this a vegetarian dish by swapping the chicken out and adding a second can of black beans.
Total Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon avocado or canola oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained /rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large oven proof skillet and add chicken, stirring until browned on all sides.
- Add onion, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprika and pepper flakes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute until onions have softened and add garlic cloves, sweet potatoes, chiles and black beans.
- Pour water into pan, stir and cover.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook, stirring periodically until the sweet potatoes are tender and water has been absorbed.
- Stir in the kale leaves until they begin to wilt.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and place uncovered into the oven.
- Bake until cheese is bubbly - about 8 minutes.
- Serve, topped with avocado and cilantro.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA