Recipe: Baked Mac and Cheese
Last updated: August 10, 2021, at 2:40 p.m. PT
Originally published: August 10, 2021, at 2:40 p.m. PT
- 12 ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded • Salt and pepper, to taste • 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 9x12” baking dish.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Place spinach in a colander in the sink and drain the pasta over it to wilt slightly.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until tender – about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in flour, cooking for two minutes.
- Add milk and chicken broth and bring to a boil, whisking continually until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add nutmeg, cheese, a little at a time, and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in cooked pasta and baby spinach.
- Top with parmesan cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly.