21 Ways to Celebrate in 2021
Last updated: July 19, 2021, at 3:20 p.m. PT
Originally published: October 27, 2020, at 12:06 p.m. PT
As we return to life in the outside world, there are plenty of fun, safe, affordable, and active ways to celebrate you! From exploring the great nearby with friends or family to getting out in the woods with hikes or Y camp, find your way to celebrate here:
Plan a Meal for You and Yours: Cook up some fun in the kitchen and try one or more of our recipes that are created by a registered dietician. Need some pointers? Join one of our virtual cooking classes! Don’t feel like cooking? No sweat! Support your favorite local restaurant by ordering delivery or take-out instead.
Throw a Back Together Party: We've missed our nearest and dearest over the past year, bring them back together at your home or keep it outdoors to ensure safety and comfort for everyone's COVID comfort levels.
- Have a Game Night: Dust off your favorite board games to play with close family or friends, introduce the next generation to the games of your youth, or try one of our games or activities that are suitable for all ages.
- Check Out Y Family Camps and Retreats: Camp isn’t just for kids. Get away for a fun-filled time at Camp Orkila! Available activities vary with the seasons. You can also strengthen your body with yoga, kayaking, hiking, or just walking on the beach.
- Plan a Backyard Campout: Sticking close to home? A backyard campout can lift your spirits and bring a taste of adventure to your home. Try some of these activities from our library of camp fun!
- Commemorate Previous Years: Take a walk down memory lane by sorting through photos from good times past. Make a photo book, collage, or other craft for yourself or as a gift to a loved one.
- Take a Group Exercise Class: Treat your body to a moderate or vigorous work out – either in person or online (free for members)! Remember, reservations are required for some in-person activities.
- Sign Up for Personal Training: Treat yourself to a 1:1 or group personal training session that's tailored to match your fitness goals and desired activity level.
- Take a Swim: Whether it’s swimming laps or just splashing around, swimming is a year-round activity that you can do indoors or outdoors at the Y or at the many lakes in our area. Don't know how? It's never too late to learn. Take a private or semi-private swim lesson with one of our experienced instructors.
- Stroll Through a Garden: The Greater Seattle Area boasts several beautiful botanical gardens to do light hiking and enjoy the splendor of the changing seasons. Check out the Arboretum at the University of Washington, the Bellevue Botanical Garden on the East Side, or Kubota Garden in the South End.
- Use Your Personalized Wellness Plan Benefit: Wellness is personal and your path to it may vary as your life situation changes, so take advantage of your complimentary Personalized Wellness Plan each year (members only) to help establish your health path and stick to it!
- Take a Ferry: Journey across Puget Sound on a Washington state ferry and try to spot a harbor seal, porpoise, or even an orca whale!
- Go Skiing or Snowboarding: With more than 10 great ski areas within a five-hour drive of downtown Seattle, your next mountain adventure is close at hand. Don't forget to check the pass conditions before you go.
- Visit a Park: Hundreds of amazing public parks are situated around the greater Seattle area. Make a goal to visit as many as you can!
- Enjoy Some Family Fun Time: The Y has lots of ways to play, learn, and connect with your kids in one of our many free virtual family classes (members only). Our live classes help build stronger family bonds through fun and engaging activities.
- Take a Bike Ride: Enjoy one of the many paved trails around Seattle! Prefer riding on the dirt? Duthie Hill, Tokul, and Tiger Mountain are some of the most popular Seattle area mountain bike trails and are close enough to the city for rides before or after work.
- Kayak and Paddleboard: Take to the water at one of several locations across King County. Where there’s water, there are opportunities for fun. Don’t forget your life vest!
- Get to Know a Farmer: Visit your nearest farmer’s market or local farm stand. It’s a great way to connect to your community while taking a taste or agrotourism adventure.
- Volunteer: Sometimes the best way to get out of a slump is to help someone else! Check out this page to see the latest and greatest volunteer opportunities at the Y, or find another way to help in your community.
- Take a Hike: Find a hike right for your family’s hiking level and location at the Washington Trails Association! Snowshoeing is a great option in the winter months too. Here's a list of the 10 Best Snowshoe Hikes in Western Washington.
- Do Nothing: Sometimes the best way to celebrate is by doing nothing at all. Honor yourself with some alone time, introspection, and personal reflection.
Birthdays and holidays are a time to celebrate and give us all something to look forward to. Set aside some time to commemorate these important days. This practice helps feed our spirits, strengthens our relationships, and builds added resilience when times are tough.