20 Ways to Celebrate in 2020
Last updated: October 29, 2020, at 11:56 a.m. PT
Originally published: October 27, 2020, at 12:06 p.m. PT
Finding ways to celebrate special events and holidays can be a challenge with the social distancing restrictions currently in place. The good news is that there are still plenty of creative ways to celebrate your special day! Here are 20 ideas to bummer-proof your birthday or other celebrations this year:
- Plan a Meal for You and Yours: Cook up some fun in the kitchen and try one or more of our recipes that are created by a registered dietician. Need some pointers? Join one of our virtual cooking classes! Don’t feel like cooking? No sweat! Order takeout or delivery from your favorite local restaurant instead.
- Throw a Socially Distanced Party: We all miss certain people in our lives who we would love to see more often. Folks have been clever with drive by celebrations, porch visits, card and gift deliveries, and video calls. Bringing your community together – whichever way works best for you – is always worth the effort and can be a lot of fun.
- Have a Game Night: Dust off your favorite board games to play with close family or friends, introduce the next generation to the games of your youth, or try one of our games or activities that are suitable for all ages.
- Check Out Y Family Camps and Retreats: Camp isn’t just for kids. Get away for a fun-filled time at Camp Orkila! Available activities vary with the seasons. You can also strengthen your body with yoga, kayaking, hiking, or just walking on the beach.
- Plan a Backyard Campout: Sticking close to home? A backyard campout can lift your spirits and bring a taste of adventure to your home. Try some of these activities from our library of camp fun!
- Commemorate Previous Years: Take a walk down memory lane by sorting through photos from good times past. Make a photo book, collage, or other craft for yourself or as a gift to a loved one.
- Take a Group Exercise Class: Treat your body to a moderate or vigorous work out – either in person or online (free for members)! Remember, reservations are required for in-person activities at this time.
- Sign Up for Personal Training: Treat yourself to a 1:1 or group personal training session that's tailored to match your fitness goals and desired activity level.
- Take a Swim: Whether it’s swimming laps or just splashing around, swimming is a year-round activity that you can do indoors at the Y or at the many lakes in our area.
- Stroll Through a Garden: The Greater Seattle Area boasts several beautiful botanical gardens to do light hiking and enjoy the splendor of the changing seasons. Check out the Arboretum at the University of Washington, the Bellevue Botanical Garden on the East Side, or Kubota Garden in the South End.
- Watch an Outdoor Movie: Outdoor movies are a fun way to get outside with your family or a special someone. Find a movie near you and pack a picnic or get a projector to create an outdoor movie theater in your own backyard. Don't forget the popcorn!
- Take a Ferry: Journey across Puget Sound on a Washington state ferry and try to spot a harbor seal, porpoise, or even an orca whale!
- Take a Day Trip with the Y: The Puget Sound is home to amazing outdoor spaces, and is an excellent place for single-day outdoor adventures. With a fully-stocked gear library and expert staff, we have all the equipment and expertise to take you on your next adventure.
- Visit a Park: Hundreds of amazing public parks are situated around the greater Seattle area. Make a goal to visit as many as you can!
- Get to Know a Farmer: Visit your nearest farmer’s market or local farm stand. It’s a great way to connect to your community while taking a taste or agritourism adventure.
- Take a Bike Ride: Enjoy one of the many paved trails around Seattle! Prefer riding on the dirt? Duthie Hill, Tokul, and Tiger Mountain are some of the most popular Seattle area mountain bike trails and are close enough to the city for rides before or after work.
- Kayak and Paddleboard: Take to the water at one of several locations across King County. Where there’s water, there’s opportunity for fun. Don’t forget your life vest!
- Volunteer: Sometimes the best way to get out of a slump is to help someone else! Check out this page to see the latest and greatest volunteer opportunities at the Y, or find a another way to help in your community.
- Take a Hike: Find a hike right for your family’s hiking level and location at the Washington Trails Association!
- Do Nothing: Sometimes the best way to celebrate is doing nothing at all. Honor yourself with some alone time, introspection, and personal reflection.
Holidays are meant to be celebrated and give us all something positive to look forward to. Set aside some special time to commemorate important days. This practice helps feed our spirits, strengthens our relationships, and builds added resilience for when times are tough.