The Get Engaged program places young adults ages 18-29 on the City of Seattle’s public boards and commissions. Get Engaged commissioners serve a one-year term starting September each year.
Acting in an advisory capacity to the Mayor and City Council, commissioners help shape policy decisions, make recommendations, and provide citizen participation in city government. Started in 2001, Get Engaged is dedicated to cultivating the next generation of leaders and advocating for the influence of young voices in city affairs.
APPLICATION OPENS APRIL 1, 2017 FOR 2017 - 2018 COHORT. DEADLINE TO APPLY IS MAY 19, 2017.
The Commitment: Two Parts
- Board commitment: Get Engaged participants are appointed to serve a one-year term (September 2017 – September 2018) as a full voting member on a city board or commission (see participating boards on the Boards We Serve tab). Participants agree to attend regularly scheduled board meetings and contribute at least 6-10 hours each month to committee meetings. Please note that many boards, especially design review boards, meet more than once a month, and require a commitment of more than 10 hours each month.
- Get Engaged commitment: In addition to board service, Get Engaged participants
• Meet with the Get Engaged team once a month for skill-building, current issue discussions, and an opportunity to reflect on your experience;
• Connect with and learn from a peer group of other civically-minded young adults.
By the end of their term, participants:
o how City of Seattle Boards and Commissions contribute to City functions
o how non-Board/Commission groups also enhance City functions and how those groups can successfully collaborate with Boards/Commissions
o how their voice as a young person can be heard by the City
o personal strengths and leadership skills
o that they are an effective Board/Commission member
o they have the skills to effectively communicate with and learn from government bodies
o connected to a network of young leaders
o Seek avenues for continued City involvement after their Get Engaged term ends
o Share what they’ve learned through their Board/Commission experience with the community
o Encourage civic engagement in their own generation and younger generations
Want to learn more? Attend an info session!
- Thursday, April 6th, 6-7pm, at the Downtown YMCA
- Saturday, April 22nd, 12-1pm, at Rainier Beach Library
- Wednesday, May 3rd, 6-7pm, Capitol Hill Library
- Thursday, May 11th, 6-7pm, Greenwood Library
For information about applying, please email email@example.com.