The host home program is designed to support young adults ages 18-24 who are unstably housed or at risk of losing their housing within King County. The program provides young people with the space and opportunity to build independent living skills, gain stability, develop lasting relationships, and focus on goal attainment by matching young people with a caring and supportive host family.
Host families are volunteers from the community who willingly offer a room in their home to provide safe, short-term housing to young people who are unstably housed or at imminent risk of losing their housing. Host families must be able to provide up to six months of room and board to a young person, age 18-24 who is working toward stabilization. The Accelerator YMCA will recruit, screen and train all host families prior to a young person being matched.
WHO ARE HOSTS?
- 21 years or older
- Live within King County
- Has a spare bedroom/private space within home
- Pass a background and reference check
- Has homeowner/renters insurance
WHO ARE PARTICIPANTS?
- 18-24 years of age
- Homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
- Lives within King County
- Has a case manager
- Working toward housing, education, employment or other stabilizing goals.
INTERESTED IN BECOMING A HOST HOME?
UPCOMING INFO SESSIONS
- March 11, 10-11:30am @ 2100 24th Ave S., Suite 250, Seattle, WA 98114
- March 14th, 6-8pm @ 517 E Pike Street, Seattle, WA 98122 (Hosted by Pride Foundation and Gay City)
- May 13, 10-11:30am @ 2100 24th Ave S., Suite 250, Seattle, WA 98114
- June 10, 10-11:30am 2100 24th Ave S., Suite 250, Seattle, WA 98114
- August 12, 10, 10-11:30am 2100 24th Ave S., Suite 250, Seattle, WA 98114
- November 11, 10, 10-11:30am 2100 24th Ave S., Suite 250, Seattle, WA 98114
- December 9, 10, 10-11:30am 2100 24th Ave S., Suite 250, Seattle, WA 98114
Read this article by YMCA of Greater Seattle President & CEO, Bob Gilbertson.
Please visit our FAQ page for additional information on Host Homes.
Interested in other opportunities to house young people? Check out our Foster Care program!